Friday, January 10, 2014

Switching to Cloth

First off and completely off topic but you should go over to Youtube and check out Robin Skouteris. Awesome mixes of pop music. Very talented

Now back to diapers. Like I said in my last blog my new diapers have come in, including my new cloth diaper. Holy crap was it amazing. I tried it out already and I have decided that I'm making the switch to cloth. I have spent a lot of time reading people's diaper experiences on different forums, mainly Daily Diapers, and the cloth diaper wearers always talk about how much better they are, but I never believed them. Well, IT'S TRUE!

First and foremost, they are reusable. Using disposable diapers I was/am wasting money and filling up landfills. We have limited space on the island and I can feel better about doing my part by wasting less. And while cloth diapers are more expensive to buy, they last way long. You get more bang for your buck. 

The bulk. One of the best feelings at least for me, is all the extra padding between my legs. I always figured that cloth diapers just wouldn't have that same feeling, that it would be more like wearing a bunch of underwear. I was wrong. They definitely still have the diaper feel, even better than disposable for two reasons. First the bulk is cotton, at least for the type I have (I'll do a full review later on once I've had more time with it), making it very comfortable. More comfortable than whatever disposable diapers are made of. Another reason is no clumping of the padding. You see it's hot in Hawaii. This leads to sweating which leads the absorbent material in disposable diapers to clump. This doesn't happen in cloth diapers. 

Of course there is a downside to cloth diapers. If you want to use them for their intended purposes, you need plastic pants. For you non diaper wearers these are like old grandma type underwear, but made of plastic. Cloth diapers take a lot of liquid, but they won't protect anything on the other side if you know what I mean. Think of a towel. Very absorbent, but you can feel the wetness when you touch it. Same thing happens with a cloth diaper which is why plastic pants are needed. 

Another problem that I'm going to have is discretion. I don't live alone, but in a house with a bunch of other guys. I don't even have my own private room. It's hasn't been a problem with disposable, I put them on and take them off in the bathroom and through them away. Easy peasy. But cloth diapers are gonna be a little more difficult to hide. They have to hang dry. So I need to figure that one out. 

Also the cloth diaper doesn't have the magical crinkle. Maybe the plastic pants will...

Last note, any advice from you cloth diaper wears? 

No comments:

Post a Comment